- Why is the breeder having this litter?
- How long has the breeder been involved with this breed?
- How old are the sire and the dam?
- Does the breeder own the sire or did they use
an outside stud dog?
- Does the breeder belong to the breed club in this state?
- Does the breeder encourage prospective puppy buyers
to visit and see their dogs?
- Will the whole litter be available for viewing?
- Has the breeder a good relationship with the dogs
- Is the breeder away all day working?
- What is the temperament of the dam and the sire?
- Are both the sire and dam hip X-rayed for hip dysplasia?
- Is the breeder aware that H. D. is only detectable for evaluation
by X-ray? The SHCV Inc. recommends the scores be done by the
Australian Veterinary Association.
- Have the sire and dam had their eyes examined by a veterinary
ophthalmologist? Australia does not have many recognised in this
field. If so, at what age and how long ago?
[more info on eye diseases
in Siberian Huskies]
- If eye and hip details are available, be sure to get a copy.
- Has the dam had a litter previously? If yes, what are the puppies
like? The VCA states that a bitch should not be bred more
than once in 12 months.
- Does the breeder offer a guarantee? If so, can you read it
before buying the pup?
- What does the guarantee cover?
- Does the puppy come with information on worming,
feeding and vaccinations?
- Will the breeder be available to help you as the
- At what age can you pick up the puppy? The VGA say that 8 weeks
is the minimum age for pups to leave their litter mates
- Does the breeder have some hold on the puppy after you buy it?
Agreements on breeding and stud arrangements should be discussed
and understood by both parties.
- Will the breeder pick the puppy or will you select it?
- How much will the puppy cost? - Is a deposit required?
- Written contracts often protect both parties.
- Why have you decided on a Siberian Husky?
- What do you know about the breed?
- Do you have children?
- Have you any other pets?
- Have you any experience with owning and training a dog?
- Is your property well fenced?
- Where will the dog sleep?
- Is everyone in your family happy about a Siberian
Husky joining the family?
- Have you a safe place to leave your dog when you
are away from home?
- Who will attend to the feeding, socialising and
training of the puppy?
- Do you intend to show or do obedience trialling
or breed with your dog?
- Have you experience in the above?
- Will you attend obedience classes with your puppy?